Monday, April 13, 2015

The Journey In!

 

Tok is about four hours from Fairbanks where we began.  I have been to Tok many times over the years, but I never tire of the breathtaking views along the way! 

We have arrived!


We met with the principal of Tok School, Jason Roslansky, Sunday evening.  He showed us around the school, full tour took about 35 minutes.
Tok School is heated and powered in no small part by a biomass (wood pulp) burning plant.  It offsets their energy bills by about 30% according to Mr. Roslansky.  Much of the biomass is harvested on site, but some is brought in and donated by the local Department of Transportation or Electric Company crews after they have been clearing out sites for various projects.

Some of the generated heat warms a greenhouse in which many things are grown that are used to supplement the school's fresh foods in the winter months.  Fresh lettuce, tomatoes, kale, etc. grown by students, harvested and prepped by adults, and then used to feed students.  Very cool.


I am set up in an air handler room (basically a storage room).
 



I found an old nurse's or physical therapy table with a padded top, built a fort around it, and moved in.  





I shower in the ref's locker room, use the toilet in the teachers' lounge, and have no access cooking facilities.  I do have a microwave that I can use, though!












 My sleeping quarters are located upstairs in the back of the library.  A quiet and rather pleasant place to be.










Willie (my friend and fellow traveler) is staying down the road so I am alone at the school in the evenings and early morn.  I took a walkabout the first evening and found some lovely ice to crack... a couple real good ones in here!




Goodnight Tok Folk, see you in the morning!




No comments:

Post a Comment